The Importance of Rest
As we near the end of the year the importance of rest might be the last thing on your mind. You might be reflecting on your year in business, thinking about whether you achieved your key performance indicators (KPIs), or whether you able to implement new strategies and adapt to the potential new order in your industry.
As small business owners it might feel indulgent to rest but the importance of rest cannot be underestimated. Burnout has been discussed more and more these days, and it’s a good thing because now people know they are not alone. Hopefully these discussions will encourage more people to not feel guilty about rest.
What is Burnout?
WebMD defines burnout as “A form of exhaustion caused by constantly feeling swamped. It’s a result of excessive and prolonged emotional, physical, and mental stress. In many cases, burnout is related to one’s job.”
According to the article, here’s a short list of what burnout can lead to:
- Health issues
- Inefficient decision-making
- Lack of passion and motivation
How to Reduce Burnout
The world of business needs more passionate small business owners, but it also needs well-rested ones. Small business owners are good at finding solutions so perhaps you can think up some solutions that will reduce the chances of you experiencing burnout. Think about doing the following:
- Delegating tasks to others- You might be surprised at how doing this will free up some time in your day.
- Setting boundaries- Perhaps you can set strong rules about not checking your emails after hours or during breaks.
- Being militant about getting adequate sleep- Your sleep should be non-negotiable.
- Have a no-tech day- Let people know you will not be accessible on this day.
- Carve out some time to work on a hobby- Doing something non-work related can be good for your soul.
- Focus on your health- Eating healthily, drinking water and exercising regularly can help you boost your immune health.
For some more ideas, take a look at this MyCEO blog post.
A burned-out you won’t help with your business or in your everyday life so take the time to rest, and do so guilt-free. Rest provides the clarity needed to recharge and reinvigorate your vision, particularly at this time of the year. It is an invitation as a business owner to reflect and set up a new path in 2023.